The schedule is for overnights, 11:00 pm - 7:30 am; to include some weekends and holidays.
Safe Harbor is a peer-operated service designed to assist consumers toward decreasing psychiatric distress which may lead to hospitalization. This approach to crisis intervention provides an opportunity for consumers to interact with peers who have experienced similar concerns. The services provided to guests and callers are 24 hours per day and seven days per week, and includes a warm line, on-site education, socialization, and follow-up supports.
A Peer Support Specialist contributes his or her lived expperience with mental illness or other behavioral disorders as part of a team collaborating with individuals averting crisis and potential hospitalization; and identifying/developing strategies for recovery. A Peer Support Specialist utilizes his or her experience to support individuals managing a crisis and stress brought on by life's challenges.
- High School Diploma/GED required; post secondary education preferred.
- Self-identified as a current or former recipient of professional behavioral health services which led toward recovery from a major mental illness and/or co-occurring mental illness and substance use disorder.
- State Certification as Peer Specialist or the ability to successfully obtain certification within six (6) months.
- Trained WRAP and demonstrated effective utilization of personal recovery plan.
- Demonstrated successful full or part-time, paid or voluntary work experience within the past twelve (12) months.
- Knowledge of recovery principles, coping skills, advocacy techniques, and community resources.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with individuals of diverse backgrounds including persons with serious mental illness, co-occurring mental illness, substance use disorders, and with family members, behavioral health professionals, government representatives, and the public at large.
- Ability to function and contribute in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to initiate and complete tasks in areas of responsibility with moderate supervision.
- Ability and willingness to work varied hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays as required.